- 2 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It’s…
- 1 large aubergine, cut into small cubes
Although it’s technically a fruit (a berry, to be exact), the aubergine is used as a…
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g/14oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 300g pasta (we used fusilli)
Pasta is the Italian name for Italy’s version of a basic foodstuff which is made in many…
- grated parmesan, to serve (optional)
Parmesan is a straw-coloured hard cheese with a natural yellow rind and rich, fruity flavour. It…
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the aubergine and cook for 8 mins until soft. Add the bacon and fry until cooked through, adding the garlic and chilli for the final min. Tip in the tomatoes, increase the heat and cook for 10 mins until thickened, stirring regularly.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta. Drain well, then stir through the sauce. Serve with a scattering of Parmesan, if you like.